Supporting fair food can be easy if you know where to start. Here are 5 easy ways to get started:
1. Buy local food from a farmer. The easiest way to support fair food is to give your food dollars directly to farmers. You can do this by shopping at local farmers markets, signing up for a CSA or buying from local grocers. Support fair wages and your local economy.
2. Ask questions about where your food comes from. How were the people treated that grew and harvested the food? How were the animals raised? The answers to these questions will reveal if your food is fair…or not.
3. Eat at Snail of Approval restaurants. Slow Food Indy reviews applications from restaurants all over Indy and honors only those that embody the principles of good, clean AND fair food.
4. Donate to fair food community organizations. There are many amazing local orgs that are making food accessible and affordable regardless of where you live or how much money you make.
5. Attend Slow Food Indy events. Our calendar always includes events that explore how to make food more accessible – budget-friendly cooking, culinary education, films, book club and more. Not only will you learn something, but you’ll meet other passionate slow foodies on the same mission.